Friday, March 13, 2020

Music Video - Final music video and evaluation

EVALUATIUON



After finding the song Ohio (come back to Texas) by bowling for soup I had some friends listen to it for feedback, everyone who listened said that they pictured a group of friends mucking around in cowboy costumes, having fun like the pop punk genre style, I took this idea and used it to create a video in that style whilst using elements from cowboy films and giving the video an old west look.. It initially started off as an idea of a few mates messing around dancing in town and in different locations wearing cowboy hats just having fun. During the time of filming however we were mid storm so was limited to locations and also the hats I bought online came super small like novelty photo hats..
During the filming process, i found it difficult to film shots the way we envisioned due to my budget, small spaces to work with, the weather and the amount of time we had left to film and edit. However, I am pleased with the cinematography overall but feel like we didn't have enough footage or different camera angles of the same scenes to keep the music video interesting with enough cuts as the song is up beat and has lots of opportunity for lots of cuts. During editing, I also added a sepia and grain overlay to the video to make it look like an old photograph, I also used some footage from the opening sequence of an episode of Rawhide to have the intertextual reference of a western film.
One main challenge we found in a group was getting everyone together over a half term to get enough footage but also with the wether filming was hard as the ground was wet and so was the play area and health and safety issues came into play
I'm extremely happy with the feedback I've gotten from my music video. Friends and family have said they love it.
However the music video could have been a lot better, if id have done this again I would have done a lot more planning, having a contingency for anything that went wrong that ended up going wrong with lack of actors and bad weather, following this contingency plan id have also shot a lot more footage so that I could include the fast paced cuts seen in most of bowling for soups videos, id have also looked into getting better costumes and shot in a wider range of locations. all in all my planning let me down for this music video task.
doing a re shoot and using more locations and better costumes would help convey the cowboy and texan theme I tried to get across in my music video, but also help play along with the comical aspect by having fun in serious areas like supermarkets etc.
all in all the video could have been a lot better than it was if I had stuck to my gant chart and organised everything properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment