Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Promotional Video - Evaluation

For this Unit I had to plan for an ideal Promotional unit for a company called Fruit Bowl Tech, they were creating an app called DNA that targets the ABC1 market, being a Facebook of the past, creating a social networking app that allows families to share content and chat to their family members, with a purpose of finding out about their lineage. To create a promotional video or even plan for one, I have had to research into how to read a promotional video as a way of understanding that the things we see when viewing one are there for a reason, and have a purpose, I have had to learn the conventions of those videos and also the planning stages that goes into creating an advert.

In doing this I have had to overcome the challenge of switching from originally working as a 1 person crew on my other units, and look at the planning of working with a crew of multiple teams. Inclusive of Editors, Actors, Casting, Camera, and Production. With this change came the research of Costings and Hirings, where I have had to look into a range of different costs to be able to produce an  advert that the client is happy with. 
I have also had to learn the importance of planning, as found from earlier Units things can go wrong, weather that be from controllable sources like actors and time management, or uncontrollable factors like weather. It is best to have a contingency plan in place and plan for time to do reshoots, with the planning also comes looking into the legal and ethical side of filming and the health and safety involved for shooting, with this I have had to research into the different forms that would be needed to legally shoot the promotional video.

Looking back at what I have done I would probably change the location of the shoot or have it done as a set, as filming in a house has its risks due to the fact that it is a small environment to be able to get a film crew and actors in, or I would change the way that it was filmed allowing for that small space. Improvement wise I would say that the script I wrote would defiantly need improving as it is a bit basic and would probably need a few drafts and a final after talking with the client to see which they prefer and what they would like to be mentioned. I would also have gone into things in more depth researching more about the legal and ethical issues involved and how to overcome them as well as looking more in-depth at the differences between shooting on a low or higher budget.

Overall I would say that the video if given the chance to shoot it with the imagined budget would have been a success and that there could be things to improve upon given the chance, yet I am happy with the outcome of the work I have produced.

No comments:

Post a Comment