Monday, October 21, 2019

Contextual Studies - American new wave short film task

Brief - 

I am tasked with investigating a New Wave of my choice from a recognised era,  critically assessing the key factors surrounding a range of films and assessing the impact of their reception, alongside that I am tasked with creating a short film that is around 2 minuets long, demonstrating the techniques of the new wave I have been assessing, I have chosen American New Wave as my area of study for this assignment.


Planning - 

  • Car scene, 
  • Pub scene.      all of theses because of ease of accesses the weekend I will be filming will be at 
  • Skating.          the last 2 locations and a friend has agreed to use his car.

  • Long shots and jump cuts prominent in filming, due to the use of them in new wave film.
  • Lack of script due to the objection of the conventions of classical cinema

Techniques of new wave

focus on crime and drugs
real conversations non scripted
jump cuts
punchy dialogue
mistakes
long takes
inspiration - the godfather and pulp fiction
In particular the car scenes




Narrative

my narrative changed over time, originally I was going to do a short clip about 2 guys buying drugs from a crime lord, however now realising the complications of such, with a limited time to film, I changed my idea to a simple 2 minute video of my weekend, done In the style of American New Wave Film.

Test Footage - 






This is some of the test footage I took, using a tripod and camera and adapting the iso settings to get some footage that looks natural, the dialogue in the videos is non scripted and is natural conversation between the subjects of the film,  the shots are a mix of mid and long shots focusing on a subject, and they are all long takes, in editing I will add them together including jump cuts and non diegetic sound in some places to add to the stylism of American New Wave.

Bibliography:
Pulp Fiction scene. Available at: https://youtu.be/LBBni_-tMNs (accessed 7 NOVEMBER 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment